Fast Fuel: Muffin Tin Egg Frittatas
Fuel your healthy eating resolutions with this quick and convenient make-ahead breakfast.
Started your year with resolutions for a healthy diet? Here’s something easy to make and to keep you on track.
By making them in a muffin tin on the weekend, you can have the ease and convenience of popping one in the microwave and you having a protein filled on-the-go breakfast.
What: The egg yolk is nutrient-dense and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
You can clean out your fridge and add any of your favorite vegetables, cheese, or even sausage to enhance the flavor of these protein-packed muffins.
Why it’s perfect for triathletes:
Many triathletes work out in the morning and we need a serious breakfast to have staying power and curb cravings. Pairing two of these muffins with Greek yogurt for added calcium, vitamin D and protein, and some fruit for fiber makes a complete and hearty nutrient-dense breakfast that will keep energy high all morning long.
When: These muffins can be served for breakfast on your way out the door or for lunch or dinner.
Muffin Tin Egg Frittatas
Yield: 12 “muffins”
- 8-10 whole eggs (depending on the size)
- 2 cups egg whites (or one 16-ounce container Egg Beaters egg whites)
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese*, plus more for topping (if desired)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Several grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Muffin cup liners
*can be made with reduced fat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk and until well combined. Meanwhile, saute the bell pepper (or any other veggies) briefly to soften.
- Stir in the cheeses, pepper and other remaining ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Spoon mixture into each muffin tin well, filling at least 3/4 of the way full (the muffins rise like a soufflé, but then fall again, so no worry about over-filling). Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When finished cooling, remove from muffin tin, peel off liners and serve, freeze or refrigerate for later use.
Get more nutrition tips on Ironman.com