2022 TCS New York City Marathon to Return at Full Capacity with 50,000 Runners
New York Road Runners (NYRR) recently announced that the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon, taking place on November 6, will return at full capacity with 50,000 runners. The world’s largest marathon is one of the city’s most anticipated and iconic annual sporting events, attracting runners and spectators of all backgrounds, ages, and abilities from around the world.
“Every year, runners from all over the world come to New York City because there’s no better race than the New York City Marathon,” said New York City Mayor Eric Adams. “This race is the strongest proof of New York’s unrelenting spirit and determination, and we are proud to announce that, this year, we’ll be back at full capacity. With 50,000 runners competing in November, the city that never sleeps will be where champions are made.”
As part of NYRR’s commitment to health and safety, last year’s marathon had a modified field size of 25,010 finishers; the reduction was determined in partnership with city and state officials. This year’s marathon will require all runners participating to be fully vaccinated. Many event elements will be restored including bringing back on-course entertainment and activations.
“Last year’s marathon served as an uplifting and unifying moment for New York City’s recovery as well as a symbol of renewed hope, inspiration, and perseverance,” said Ted Metellus, Race Director, TCS New York City Marathon. “This November, we are excited to have runners from all over the world fully return as we come together to deliver one of the best days in New York.”
NYRR will hold a 2022 TCS New York City Marathon entry drawing in which runners can apply for a chance to gain entry. The entry drawing calendar includes the following dates:
Important Dates for Runners
- March 9: Application for the entry drawing opens at 12:00 p.m. ET
- March 23: Application window closes at 11:59 p.m. ET
- March 30: Drawing takes place and runners are notified of their status
If runners do not receive entry through the drawing, they can still obtain entry to the TCS New York City Marathon in the following ways:
- Run for NYRR Team for Kids: Runners receive a guaranteed spot in the race by registering to run for NYRR Team for Kids, the TCS New York City Marathon’s largest charity, which raises funds for NYRR’s free youth running programs.
- Run for an Official Charity Partner: The TCS New York City Marathon Official Charity Partner Program offers an opportunity for non-profit organizations to raise funds to support their missions and services. Participating charities can offer guaranteed entry to runners who fundraise on their behalf. A full list of the Official Charity Partnersfor the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon will be available on March 30, the date of the drawing.
- Run with an International Tour Operator: For those who live outside the United States, guaranteed entry along with the purchase of a Marathon Package may be available through an official International Tour Operator (ITO). International runners who reside in countries that do not have an ITO may purchase a Marathon Package from an ITO in another country.
Runners who earned guaranteed entry through the following methods need to claim their entry by the March 23 deadline:
- 2020-21 Resolution Guaranteed Entry: After the cancellation of the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon, runners who selected to run in the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon are eligible for a guaranteed, complimentary entry. Runners who selected and planned to run in the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon but were 1) unable to travel to the U.S. due to a travel ban or 2) tested positive for COVID-19 with 14 days of last year’s race day, are eligible for a guaranteed, complimentary entry and will pay an administrative fee.
- Participation in NYRR’s 9+1 program: The 9+1 program allows NYRR members who meet eligibility requirements to earn guaranteed entry by completing nine scored, qualifying races and serving as a volunteer at one NYRR event. Further details can be found at this link.
- Completion of 15 or more New York City Marathons: Runners who have completed 15 or more New York City Marathons receive guaranteed entry in future years.
- NYRR Virtual Racing: Runners who finished specific tiers and levels of the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon Virtual 26.2M, and met fundraising requirements, are eligible to apply for guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon.
- Time Qualifiers: Applicants who met the time standards in the qualifying window are eligible for guaranteed entry in 2022. A limited number of time-qualifier spots are available to runners who met the time standards in a non-NYRR race. These spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Qualifying standards can be found at this link.
For more information and to apply for the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon, visit tcsnycmarathon.org.